Hitotsubashi University, a national university in Tokyo that boasts the best social science research and education in Japan, established the Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study (HIAS) in 2014 as an interdepartmental research organization directly under the President. HIAS aims to be (1) a hub for international joint research that brings together researchers from inside and outside the University, as well as (2) a center for interdisciplinary research that addresses social issues. Since its establishment in 2014, HIAS has engaged in various international research projects and has seen many first-rate academic achievements. Building on these accomplishments, HIAS is now launching a new project, “HIAS BRIDGES,” with the aim of enriching the academic community by extending its capacity as a research hub and supporting young researchers. As a part of this project, we are seeking next-generation young scholars to join HIAS as an “Assistant Professor or Research Associate with a full-time research commitment for five years.” Successful candidates will be expected to engage in cutting-edge research in our focus research fields, such as Law, at HIAS.
|Kunitachi Tokyo, Japan
|Specially Appointed Assistant Professor (full time) Specially Appointed Research Associate (full time)
|Number of Positions
|Maximum of 7 positions
|Annual Salary: Approximately JPY 5,000,000 (Annual salary represents income before tax.)
|Period of Employment
|The employment period is five years from the start date. Start date is negotiable, but the earliest start date is April 1st, 2024.
|11:59 p.m. Monday, November 6th, 2023 Japan Standard Time (JST)
|Notification of Results
|The first screening result will be announced by Tuesday, November 28th, 2023. Please find the details regarding the Job Description, Application Documents, How to Submit Applications, etc. in the lists below.
Applicants will be expected to;
1: Engage in research in the field of Global Law and its related fields.
2: Contribute to research activities of the Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study, Graduate School of Law by actively participating in seminars, research collaborations, etc.
*Teaching is not required or expected. However, if a researcher wishes to teach courses, that can be discussed.
Qualifications (required skills, experiences, etc.)：
Applicants should have;
1: A Ph.D. or equivalent degree in either Law or a related field.
The Ph.D. candidate should have obtained a Ph.D. or equivalent degree within four months after the time of appointment.
Period of employment will be one year if we cannot confirm your Ph.D. degree within four months after the time of appointment.
2: Proficiency in both English and Japanese.
1: You will have your own desk in a shared office.
2: You are expected to secure your own research funds. *Eligible to apply for internal grants.
3: You will be fully supported by the HIAS planning office when you apply for external funds, such as Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
Candidates will be selected based on their application documents, an interview, and a presentation.
Only those who are short-listed will be invited for the interview and the presentation.
1 : Cover Letter
2 : Curriculum Vitae
3 : Designated Application Form
4 : Reprints of two major papers
5 : Names and contact information of two references, ideally of your supervisor or an equivalent.
The committee will ask for a reference letter from your references.
Ph.D. candidates, please make sure to ask your references to describe the progress of your dissertation.
*Regarding submission method, please see below.
*How to submit reference letters
Please provide us with the contact information for your references (name, affiliation, email address) through the online application system.
The committee will directly send a URL for uploading the reference letter to the references.
The committee will not accept any references directly from the applicant.
In addition to the above documents, Ph.D. candidates will be asked to prepare and submit a document regarding the expected completion of the doctoral degree after the final offer. The document should be written by your supervisor or an equivalent.
Date of Interview:
Interview and presentation: The beginning of December.
Short-listed candidates will be notified of the schedule.
*Interviews and presentations will be conducted in Japanese or English.
*Interviews and presentations will be scheduled from 8:30 to 17:00 (JST).
How to Submit an Application:
Please upload all documents as PDF files via the URL below, including your name and the document type in the file name.
Please follow the instructions on the website by accessing the URL below.
The commuting allowance will be paid according to University policy (maximum of 55,000 JPY/Month).
Work Days and Hours：
– The discretionary labor system will be applied, and the assistant professor / research associate will be deemed to have worked for 7 hours and 45 minutes per weekday / 38 hours and 45 minutes per week.
– The discretionary labor system is a free time system that considers the amount of work done to be specified by the agreement between workers and employers, regardless of the actual working hours. For more details, please refer to Article 38-3 in the Labor Standards Act. https://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/en/laws/view/3567
– Working days are five days a week, Monday through Friday.
Saturdays and Sundays, national holidays, new year holidays (Dec. 29-Jan.3)
Other holidays designated by the president of the University
Annual paid holiday (will be given after 6 months of employment), special holiday (refreshment holiday (will be after 3 months of employment), sick/injured child care leave, family care leave, condolence leave, parental leave before and after childbirth, etc.).
Employment insurance; industrial accident compensation insurance; health insurance; and pension insurance
Document Return Policy：
Application documents will not be returned. After an application has been processed, all submitted documents will be disposed of immediately in an appropriate manner.
Should you have any questions, please contact us via a contact form (https://bridges.hias.hit-u.ac.jp/en/contact/), with “Inquiry regarding HIAS open position” in the subject line.
Please note that we will accept questions only via the contact form.
– Hitotsubashi University is an equal opportunity employer in the spirit of the Basic Act for Gender-Equal Society.
– Please note that any personal data submitted to the University as part of the job application process will be used only for the selection process and HR management, which may include tasks such as, salary, welfare, health care, labor, hygiene or management of the on-campus system and facilities usage, and statistical reports on the employment status of people with disabilities. The University will not provide or disclose personal data to any third party for any purpose other than the above management. However, if it is necessary to achieve this purpose, handling may be outsourced to an external organization with which the University has signed a non-disclosure agreement.
– Please note that smoking is prohibited on campus except in designated areas.